Benefits of using a Competent Registered Electrician
Are you a householder looking for an electrician that is able to work safely in your home to legally required standards?
The Registered Competent Person Electrical search facility lists all electricians registered for full scope domestic work in England and Wales, making finding the right person for the job easier than ever before.
Electrical Safety Register
All electricians listed and permitted to display the mark are registered with an electrical Competent Person Scheme Operator authorised by the Department of Communities and Local Government (DCLG) and the Welsh Government. This means they meet strict entry requirements, and their work is regularly assessed, to ensure their ongoing competence and that their work meets the correct standards.
To start using the Registered Competent Person Electrical search facility, simply enter your postcode to find a registered electrician near you. Alternatively, search by company name to see whether an electrician you may be considering is listed as registered.
Using an electrician registered with a Government-approved scheme (England & Wales) to undertake electrical installation work in your home provides you with the assurance that:
- They work to the British Standard for electrical safety (BS 7671)
- They meet strict entry requirements, which take account of qualifications, skills, knowledge, experience and insurance policies
- Their work is regularly assessed by a Government-approved Scheme Operator to ensure their ongoing competence and that it meets the correct standards
- They will give you a BS7671 certificate to confirm that their work has been designed, inspected and tested in line with the BS7671 electrical safety standard. If the work is notifiable, they will also arrange a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate to confirm compliance with Building Regulations, which should be issued to you by their Scheme Operator within 30 days of the completion of the installation.
- They are permitted to self-certify their work against the Building Regulations, saving you the need to notify the work with your Local Authority Building Control department
- They have valid insurance policies in place, including Public Liability Insurance
- All Government-approved scheme operators have a complaints procedure, which means they will investigate complaints about registered electricians who have not complied with technical standards
- To find or check a registered electrician in your area, use the search facility on this website